Stove-Top Tomato Braised Chicken
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Total Time: 45 min
- Makes 6 Servings
- 2 cans (14.5 oz. each) Contadina® Diced Tomatoes, not drained
- 3 Tbsp. Contadina® Tomato Paste
- 1-3/4 cups College Inn® Chicken Broth
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs, (about 5 lb.) skin removed, if desired
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried oregano
- (Optional) Cooked polenta, pasta or mashed potatoes
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a deep 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. (Omit oil if leaving skin on).
2. Brown chicken on both sides, about 5 minutes, working in batches, if needed. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add onion, carrots and celery to pan. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and oregano; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Stir in diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Add broth; bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
4. Return chicken to pan. Cover and simmer on low heat 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside (165°F internal temperature). If desired, remove chicken from pan and simmer sauce on high heat for a few minutes until slightly thickened. Serve over polenta, pasta or mashed potatoes, if desired.
Del Monte Products In This Recipe