- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- 5 min
- Total Time: 35 min
- Makes 6 Servings
Smoked paprika makes this rice side dish special. It is versatile to serve with beef, chicken, pork and shrimp and can be turned into a quick main dish by adding black beans or chorizo sausage.
- 5 Tbsp. Contadina® Tomato Paste
- 3 cups College Inn® Chicken Broth , hot
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice or medium grain rice
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. sweet Spanish paprika (Pimentòn Ahumado) or regular paprika
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano or 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano
1. Heat oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add rice, onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste and cook about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until paste browns slightly.
2. Add hot broth, paprika and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
4. Fluff with a fork and serve.
VARIATIONS: Prepare recipe as directed above, except:
• CHORIZO SPANISH RICE: Gently stir in 12 oz. thinly sliced dry cured chorizo sausage after the 5 minute stand time in Step 3. Let stand an additional 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
• BLACK BEAN SPANISH RICE: Gently stir in 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained, after the 5 minute stand time in Step 3. Let stand an additional 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
Del Monte Products In This Recipe