Rustic Beef Ragu
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 30 min
- Total Time: 2 hr 50 min
- Makes 6 Servings
Savor the aroma and flavor of this hearty, Italian dish, perfect for a Sunday family dinner, as it simmers for hours. Delicious served over creamy polenta, noodles or mashed potatoes.
- 1 can (6 oz.) Contadina® Tomato Paste
- 1 boneless chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 lb.)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 slices bacon, diced
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- soft cooked polenta, mashed potatoes, or noodles, optional
- shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Trim excess fat from roast. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large shallow dish or plate. Dredge meat thoroughly in flour mixture; set aside.
2. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven on medium heat until fat starts to render. Place roast in pan with bacon and brown on both sides, about 8 minutes total.
3. Remove roast to a large plate. Add onion and thyme to pan; cook about 3 minutes, until onion is softened. Stir in tomato paste. Cook about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until paste browns slightly.
4. Add carrots and 2 1/2 cups water. Return roast to pan. Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer 2 to 2 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Turn meat half-way through cook time.
5. Remove meat from pan and shred with forks. Skim excess fat from sauce, stir in balsamic vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired. Return meat to sauce and serve over polenta, mashed potatoes or pasta, topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Del Monte Products In This Recipe